Search for a Recipe

Tuesday 4 June 2013

Frozen Banana Bites

These are SO delicious!!!! I can't believe I never thought to try this before.  As a kid, I remember absolutely loving the frozen bananas dipped in chocolate that our church used to sell as a fundraiser at the town parade.  It always seemed like such a pain - you had to halve the bananas, put them on a stick, somehow get them to freeze without sticking to each other, then dip in chocolate, then store again.  I know, not that tough, but it does take up freezer space that I rarely have had access to, so chocolate covered frozen banana always seemed like one of the tasty treats from childhood that noone makes anymore.   I thought of this as I looked at the leftover half banana sitting on the counter after my daughter decided she didn't want anymore banana.  We always seem to have half bananas lying around, turning brown.  I  suddenly realized that I could slice them up, freeze the slices, and when I had time I could dip them in chocolate! Yay!!! These are so wonderfully easy and delicious. Just make sure you use the ripe yellow bananas, and not the overripe bananas.  Enjoy!!!
I couldn't resist taking a bite... and then another.  These are like little frozen truffles. Delicious!

Frozen Banana Bites
You can make as much as you like, but I just used 1 banana here.

Slice up in ½” slices and lay on parchment paper: 
1 nice, ripe yellow banana (not the overripe, spotted brown ones)
(I used 2 smaller pieces of parchment paper, so I could slice 1/2 a banana at a time as kids ate the bananas. Then I just stacked them in a Tupperware since the bottom row was frozen by the time I stuck the next on top.)

Pop that into the freezer, and allow to freeze completely (1-2 hrs at least, but you can leave it longer).  I like to slice and freeze the banana slices the day before I plan to dip them in chocolate.  

Prepare an area where you can dip your frozen banana slices in chocolate by doing the following:

1. Line something with parchment paper (I lined a Tupperware with parchment paper here, I've also used a smaller metal cookie sheet).

2. Get 2 forks (for dipping) and a spoon (for stirring chocolate)

3. Put a bit of parchment paper on the counter, so you have somewhere to put the chocolate covered spoon and forks.

For dipping: 
Put ½ cup dark chocolate (chips or bar, diced)** (see below) ** in a bowl. Melt the chocolate in the microwave 60-90 sec at 50% power.  Stir until all chocolate chips are melted.  You can add a dollop (1/2 tsp) of a lighter flavored oil (olive oil or avocado oil), to help the consistency. 
Remove the frozen banana slices from the freezer.  You’ll want to use your fingers to pull them off the parchment paper, since they’ll stick a little.   

Frozen bananas, melted chocolate, and somewhere to put the dipped bananas are what is needed.  If you feel like your bananas are getting soft, you can freeze them on separate pieces of parchment paper in order to remove and dip them a handful at a time.  

You will dip the banana slices like you would chocolate truffles.

Pick up one slice and drop it in the melted chocolate.  Use the two forks to rotate the slice, fully covering with chocolate.  Pick up the banana slice using one fork and bang it gently against the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate.  Slide the slice onto the clean piece of parchment paper, using the other fork to help remove cleanly.  

Repeat with other slices, working quickly so the banana doesn’t warm up.  

Bananas dipped in chocolate!  The chocolate will set quickly, but the bananas will thaw/soften, so if you want to keep them frozen return to the freezer quickly. 

The chocolate hardens quickly, so you can eat right away, or store in the freezer for later.  For storing more than a day or two, make sure you put the frozen dipped banana bites in a Tupperware or Ziploc to retain the best taste.   Perfect for summer!!! 

Yum!  Fresh chocolate dipped banana slices.  Delicious and easy to make!  

Voila! Bite-sized chocolate covered banana!  Enjoy!

**I love using Callebaut chocolate chips for dipping.  They are a high quality chocolate and they give you the fluidity of the chocolate, which is helpful.  A 3/5 or 4/5 fluidity is the easier to work with for these. I love using a darker chocolate.  Something 55% or greater is my favorite. ** 

No comments:

Post a Comment