Search for a Recipe

Friday 29 November 2013

Kristin's Fabulous Coconut Cream Pie

This is my absolute favorite pie recipe.  It came about after experimenting with a number of coconut cream pie recipes, and eventually led to this easy-to-make and deliciously light coconut cream pie.  I've made this many times now, and it's always the first request from my friend Julie if I ask her what sort of pie I should bring to her house for Canadian Thanksgiving.  I made this for the recent American Thanksgiving at my friend Lisa's hosue (Yes, we celebrate both Canadian and US Thanksgivings - I'm not sure there can be too many Thanksgivings in a year), and my friend Marti's comment was that it was "like it's dancing in my mouth."  I have to agree. I find it's a light, creamy pie which is perfectly complimented by the crunchy toasted coconut topping. Yum!  Enjoy!

The fabulous Thanksgiving pie - ready to be served!

Kristin's Fabulous Coconut Cream Pie

Prepare 1 baked pie shell:
Make 1/2 recipe of my Buttermilk Pie Pastry (or make whole recipe and use the other half for another pie or quiche).  Press into pie dish and bake until light brown, as directed.  Let cool.
Pre- and post-cooked pie shell.  I used a bit less crust than normal in this particular pie b/c I was making a deep-dish pie with the rest of the pastry dough - hence a few cracks in the final cooked product.  Luckily, it gets covered so no worries!

To prepare filling, place in a saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat:
2 1/2 cups milk (lactose-free works great)
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Meanwhile, mix and whisk in a small bowl:
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cornstarch
4 egg yolks

Once your milk/sugar/salt is boiling, whisk in egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly.  Let boil ~1 minute, until thickened. 

Remove from heat and immediately add:
2 tsp vanilla extract (not bean paste)
3/4 cup flaked coconut
2 Tbsp butter, chopped

Mix well, and pour into prepared pie shell.  Cover the top with plastic wrap and let chill completely in the refrigerator. 
Try to top with as few air bubbles as possible when you put plastic wrap on the top.

To serve, prepare toasted coconut, below, to top the pie.  Remove plastic wrap and top with toasted coconut.

Toasted Coconut
Place on a baking sheet in a 350-375F oven:
1/4 - 1/3 cup flaked coconut

Watch VERY closely, and let cook just until it is lightly browned (don't worry if it's not all lightly browned - it's nice with a mixture and it will all be nice and crispy). 

Remove from oven, let cool and top pie just before serving.  Serve with whipped cream, if desired (although I never find it needs anything extra).

Enjoy!!!
A final picture, just because... Yum!

 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I can attest to the comment : it's like dancing in my mouth. This was the best coconut cream pie I have ever tasted, so light and fresh. Best US thanksgiving dessert ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marti! I do love this pie - I'm pretty sure I could eat the entire thing myself. ;)

      Delete