Search for a Recipe

Wednesday 18 December 2013

Fabulous Sourdough Waffles - Gluten-Free!

These are delicious - really really delicious.  And so easy, too!!!  It seems common to recommend making pancakes to use up excess sourdough starter, but I have found I prefer these light and crispy waffles.  I find that whereas the pancakes have more of a whole-wheat taste to them, these just taste like wonderfully crispy and flavorful waffles.  We have loved them!  They're great, too, because I freeze any extras, and they can be re-heated in the toaster oven anytime! Enjoy!

Light and fluffy gluten-free sourdough waffles with maple syrup. Yum!

Fabulous Sourdough Waffles - Gluten-Free!
Makes 15-18 waffles
(My waffle iron makes 6 waffles at a time, and I can fill it almost 3x)

Mix in a 4 cup tupperware the night before you want your waffles:
1 cup white rice flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum

Add and mix in, just until combined:
1 cup water (filtered, if your water contains chlorine)
1 cup gluten-free sourdough starter

Put the tupperware lid on tightly, and let rest overnight at room temperature. This mixture will grow naturally overnight due to the yeast, so make sure your container is at least a 4 cup container and can be fully closed.
I find the mixture tends to look like this in the morning - nicely filled with air pockets.

In the morning, preheat your waffle iron.
Mix together in a large bowl:
2 eggs
5 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Mixture from last night (starter/flour/water)
Here's the batter, ready for cooking.  If desired, you can add finely diced apples (option below).

Apple-Cinnamon Waffle Option: 
After mixing, fold in:
1-2 apples, peeled and finely diced

Butter waffle iron lightly each time you use it.  Cook batter in pre-heated waffle iron until nicely browned and crispy.  Remove from waffle iron and place on cooling rack (I do this even when making my favorite plain or apple-cinnamon waffles, because it keeps them from ever getting soggy on the bottom, especially if I make extras to freeze).
My waffle iron makes 6 waffles at a time, and I find I fill the waffle iron almost 3x for this recipe.  The waffles on the right are apple-cinnamon waffles on the cooling rack.

Best served fresh with maple syrup, or jam, or any topping you enjoy on your waffles!
Once cooled, you can freeze these in a ziploc bag and re-heat in a toaster oven for quick breakfasts.
Enjoy!!!
Apple-cinnamon waffles with syrup. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment