Search for a Recipe

Tuesday 4 June 2013

Quick N' Easy Macaroni & Cheese

I love whipping up a quick mac n' cheese for dinner now and then.  My mac n' cheese is always homemade, since I can't stand the boxed stuff.  The cream sauce is SO quick and easy, you won't believe it!  I actually think it's much easier to make gluten-free mac n' cheese than regular mac n' cheese, since it requires very little stirring!  Nice, right?!   And, if you use shaped noodles, it suddenly becomes something a little bit fancier.  I've got some other varieties posted, my versatile cream sauce for pastaand a mac n' cheese bake or broccoli n' cheese bake.  But I figured I'd just put up the simplest, no-nonsense variety of mac n' cheese as it's own recipe.  Any way you make it, the cream sauce is similar to whip up, and will always taste delicious! Enjoy!
Mac n' cheese made with spiral brown rice noodles. Took me 15 minutes start to finish - mostly because cooking the noodles requires waiting for water to boil and the noodles to cook!

Quick N’ Easy Macaroni & Cheese
Serves 4
 
Cook up 250g/8oz package brown rice noodles of your choice.  (I find most packages say they cook 4-6 minutes, but I find it tends to be more like 10-12 minutes, so taste your noodles before draining!) Drain noodles, set aside.
 
Heat frying pan over medium heat. Add:
1/4 cup butter
 
Add and cook until tender:
1 small onion, diced
 
Add and cook until boiling, stirring occasionally:
1 ¾ cup milk (lactose-free works well)
½ - 1 tsp chicken bouillon
Salt & pepper (~ ¼ tsp each, but more can be added towards the end – I tend to add extra pepper)
 
Mix in a small bowl, then add to pan, stirring constantly:
¼ cup cold milk
1 heaping Tbsp cornstarch
 
Your mixture should thicken quickly.  Remove from heat and add:
1 to 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (or similar mixture)
 
Once cheese is melted, add pasta and mix until thoroughly coated.  Taste, and add more salt or pepper, as desired.  Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment