Search for a Recipe

Tuesday 17 December 2013

Crumble Topped Apple Pie

This is a fun alternative to the normal apple pie that has a top crust.  The crust is simply replaced with a crumble-topping.  For me, this pie is a mix of the apple crumble I ate in England and an apple pie - which really does sound like a tasty combination for an apple pie alternative! Enjoy!

The pie pictured here was 50% larger than normal since I was using a big, deep-dish pie pan. But, the recipe below is for a normal pie dish and normal baking time. 

French Apple Pie

Preheat oven to 425F.

Make 1/2 recipe of my Buttermilk Pie Pastry (or make whole recipe and use the other half for another pie or quiche). Press into pie dish.  Set aside while you prepare the filling.
Roll out your dough between two sheets of plastic wrap into a circle-like shape. You can easily fix up the crust once it's in your dish.
I made a 1 1/2 recipe for a deep-dish pie in these pictures since I had already used up my normal pie dishes, so this pie was a bit bigger than my normal pie.

Mix in a large bowl:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup Kristin's Gluten-Free Flour Mix
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt

Peel and slice 8 medium apples.  Toss in sugar mixture.  Pour into prepared pie shell. *Note: I tend to forget this, but it's best to create a flat layer of apples rather than a mound of apples for a nicer looking pie at the end.
The apples should be evenly coated.
I left these apples in a bit of a mound, flatten them out in the pan for a nicer looking pie since the apples sink a bit during cooking.

Mix in a bowl:
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup white rice flour 
1/3 cup tapioca starch
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon

Chop in with pastry cutter, until you have fine crumbs:
1/2 cup butter

Sprinkle over apples.  

Bake pie ~20 minutes at 425F.  Remove from oven and cover edges of crust with foil. 
Bake another 10-15 minutes, and loosely cover entire pie with foil. 
Bake a final 10-15 minutes. 
(You want to aim for a total cooking time of ~ 45 minutes).

Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.  This pie is best served warm, and will reheat nicely in the oven.

Enjoy!
This pie was a bit more browned than normal because it was 50% larger than my normal pies, so it required a bit more baking time. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I have a friend who recently found out she is sensitive to gluten. I'll forward your blog along. Nice work

    ReplyDelete