Search for a Recipe

Sunday 13 November 2022

Faux Beef Pho (Pho-Inspired Beef Soup)

Here is my Pho-inspired Beef Soup - now titled Faux Beef Pho thanks to my sister-in-law's suggestion. ;)  I'm always looking for ways to pull inspiration from local ingredients that are easier for me to locate (While Asian markets are awesome, I can't always get to them).  I've always loved Pho soups, and I recently discovered that my kids LOVE them.  I've spent some time putting together a faux chicken pho and beef quick pho soup that I can whip together with easy-to-find ingredients.  Enjoy! 
A delicious bowl of fresh Faux Beef Pho. Yum!

Faux Beef Pho (Pho-Inspired Beef Soup)


Sauté until beef has browned over medium heat: 
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp oil
1/2 onion, sliced or diced
1 lb stew beef, chopped into smaller pieces (or similar)

Add: 
8 cups water + 8 tsp GF beef bouillon paste (or 8 cups GF beef broth/stock)
8 thin slices fresh ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp oyster sauce or fish sauce
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 apple, peeled & thinly sliced (I've used pink lady and fuji, something that holds it shape is best)

Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes to soften the beef.  

While your faux pho is simmering, cook and drain/rinse:
GF ramen noodles OR GF rice vermicelli noodles

Serve your soup overtop of a bowl of cooked noodles

Top with the following, as desired: 
fresh bean sprouts
green onions, sliced

You don't have to serve the soup with the apple slices, but I we like them. 


Faux Beef Pho (Pho-Inspired Beef Soup) Recipe by Successfully Gluten Free!

No comments:

Post a Comment