Search for a Recipe

Thursday, 6 August 2026

Lemon Blueberry Pancakes!

 These are SO delicious, plus they're easy to whip together. I've even doubled this recipe while we had family visiting and I think between the 7 of us, they were gone in two days. 

These yummy GF lemon blueberry pancakes came about because I have a big batch of lemon sugar hanging out in my kitchen this summer. We had a bunch of lemons we zested since my youngest was making lemon popsicles, and I have been using it to create fun lemon-y recipes ever since.  

How to make Lemon sugar: 1 cup sugar + zest of 2 well-scrubbed lemons (~2 Tbsp), mix well and store in an airtight container for several months at room temperature.  Easy peasy!

Mmm... ready for a drizzle of maple syrup and eating!

Lemon Blueberry Pancakes!

Makes 18-24 pancakes 

Mix dry ingredients a bowl: (You WANT to mix dry ingredients first in gluten-free baking/cooking or things lump and aren't evenly distributed in your batter)
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 Tbsp lemon sugar (make lemon sugar using 1 cup sugar + zest of 2 lemons, let sit a few days - or use 2 Tbsp sugar + zest of 1/2 - 1 lemon directly in the batter)
1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 drops lemon essential oil

Add and mix gently until it's all combined: 
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup milk (lactose-free or dairy-free works great)
1/4 cup olive oil 
1-2 tsp vanilla bean paste, vanilla extract, or vanilla sugar

Add to batter:
2 cups blueberries, rinsed and drained

It's good to let your batter sit and rest for 5 minutes, so mix first and THEN heat your skillet over medium-low to medium heat. I like to butter each time while cooking these pancakes. 

If you find the batter is too thick, just add a little milk until you reach your desired consistency. (I find I like the batter a bit thicker with larger blueberries, but I can go a bit thinner for the tiny, wild blueberries) For each pancake, use a large spoon to spoon batter (by approx 1/4 cup amount) onto the pan. You have to help spread it out each pancake a bit, since it's packed with blueberries.

Cook the pancake until you can see it's a bit dry around the edges. Flip and cook the other side until a nice golden brown, and the blueberries are bubbling a bit, and perhaps one or two is oozing juice down the pancake. Perfect!
Why yes, I do have two identical griddles I now use when I'm trying to make lots of pancakes. We make a lot of pancakes. They're a favorite. 
Yum yum yum!

Lemon Blueberry Pancakes Recipe by Successfully Gluten Free!

No comments:

Post a Comment