Search for a Recipe

Wednesday, 23 September 2026

Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese

 This is a delicious flavorful mac & cheese, inspired by the glutenous one at Trader Joe's. You can also make this with acorn squash or similar type fall squash that can be baked. You could even use a pie pumpkin!  I give a range of amount of squash to be used, and you can adjust it based on your personal preference, though I always prefer more squash. Enjoy! 
With the number of times I've eaten this, you'd think I'd have managed to take a better photo, but nope. ;) 

Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese


To make the butternut squash puree:
Preheat oven to 375.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.  

Slice in half: 
1 butternut squash (or similar squash, like acorn squash) *I don't bother removing the seeds. These can be quickly and easily scooped out after baking.

Brush with some olive oil OR put a bit on your foil to spread around. 
Place the squash halves facedown on your foil lined sheet.  Bake at 375 F for about 45 - 60 minutes (depends on the size of your squash and oven), until your squash is softened, and can squish a bit when you press into it.  Remove from oven and place pan on a cooling rack.  Once cool enough to handle, you can scoop and discard the seeds. Use a spoon to scoop out your butternut squash - it should scoop out nice and smooth like a puree. 

If you want to prep your squash puree in advanced, let cool most of the way, then scoop out the seeds to discard.  Scoop the cooked flesh into a container to store in the refrigerator. I find it lasts several days in the refrigerator. You can also place cooked squash into freezer ziplocs. I make sure to measure and note the amount on the bag before freezing. 

To make the pasta & butternut squash cheese sauce:
I make the noodles and sauce simultaneously.

Noodles:
Cook GF pasta noodles of your choice in salted water, rinse and set aside.  Make sure to taste the noodles before draining to make sure it's cooked enough. I find most GF noodles require an extra 2-3 minutes of boiling.

Sauce:
In a large pot, combine over medium heat:
1/4 cup butter
1 3/4 cup milk
1 tsp mustard (from the squeeze bottle, not dried powder)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 - 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 - 1/4 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp freeze dried thyme OR 1/8 - 1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Add, bring to a simmer, cooking for ~10 minutes: 
1 - 2 cups squash puree (I like more squash, but if you prefer a lighter squash flavor, you can use less. If you use less squash, make sure to thicken the sauce, as described next.)

Squash sauce, getting ready to thicken a bit and add cheese.

Optional to thicken the sauce a bit: 
Mix together in a small bowl: 
1/4 cup cold milk
1 Tbsp cornstarch

Stir the cornstarch mixer into the sauce, stirring constantly, until mixture returns to a simmer for 1-2 minutes.

Remove the sauce from heat and add: 
3/4 cup gouda, grated
3/4 cup medium or old cheddar, grated
1/3 cup parmesan regianno, grated

Once your sauce is ready, stir in your noodles and serve!!! Enjoy! 
Sauce is thickened and ready to mix in the cheese!

Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese Recipe by Successfully Gluten Free!

No comments:

Post a Comment