Search for a Recipe

Tuesday 7 August 2018

Our Favorite Plain Waffles!

Plain waffle recipe - requested by my sister.  It's been buried within my apple-cinnamon waffle recipe, and I agree it's about time plain, delicious waffles get their own post.  This batch will serve my family for breakfast with a few left over, but I often double (or even triple) the recipe if I want to make extras to freeze for easy morning breakfasts!  Enjoy! 

Gluten Free Plain Waffles
Fresh, yummy waffles - ready to eat! 

Kristin's Fabulous Gluten-Free Waffles!!!
Makes 18 waffles (...if you consider each square as a waffle. I fill my iron 3x for this mixture)

Whisk together in a bowl: (It's important to mix dry ingredients first in GF cooking)
½ cup brown rice flour
½ cup white rice flour
½ cup tapioca starch/flour
¾ tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar (white or brown sugar work equally well)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp flaxseed meal (optional, but adds a nice nutty flavor and fiber)

Mix separately:
1 ¾ cup milk (lactose-free and dairy-free options work, too)
½ cup vegetable oil
2 eggs

Whisk wet ingredients with dry ingredients just until smooth.  Leave to sit 5-10 minutes(This allows the batter to thicken a bit.  It will seem too runny at first, just let it sit!)


Batter mixed and ready for cooking!


Bake in your waffle iron according to instructions.  I tend to cook mine a bit longer to get a nice crunchy outside (my preference).  You can also quickly butter your waffle iron to get an extra crunch on the outside, as well.


This is how much batter I spoon onto my waffle iron.


Gluten Free Plain Waffles
Here they are finished!


Once the waffles are done, place cooked waffles on a cooling rack.  This is important!  This keeps the waffles nice and crisp.  Also, once they cool, it’s easy to pop them in a Ziploc and freeze them.  Re-heat in your toaster oven for a tasty breakfast!


Waffles cooling on a cooling rack (until they're snatched up and eaten!)


Serving ideas:
Serve plain (especially if you used apples), with syrup, with berries, with whipped cream, or with nutella. Enjoy!
x




No comments:

Post a Comment