Search for a Recipe

Monday 1 August 2022

Sloppy Joe's

 I spent a good portion of my childhood being very unhappy every time we had Sloppy Joe's for dinner.  Back then, the meat was cooked with a packet of spices and always incredibly salty.  It would be served on store bought rolls that always seem to fall apart under the weight of the soupy meat mixture.  However, when my dad decided to try the Pioneer Woman's recipe, we actually enjoyed it!  I've tweaked it a little bit and to make it just how I like it, and one of my kids requested it as their birthday dinner this year, so I'd say it's come a long way from the unpleasant stuff of my childhood.  Enjoy! 

My dad serving up sloppy joe's! He served it with a side of zucchini, chips, and a piece of one of our favorite family brownies, with a few mint chips thrown in. Yum!

Sloppy Joe's

Based on a recipe by Ree Drummond. Serves 8-12 

In a large deep skillet over medium heat melt: 
2 Tbsp butter

Add and cook until meat is fully browned (once cooked, you can drain it if needed, but I usually don't)
2 lb ground beef (I prefer lean or extra lean)

Add, cooking a few minutes: 
1 large onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
5-6 cloves garlic, minced

Add the following: 
14 oz can tomato sauce + add 1/4 - 1/3 cup water used to rinse out the can
1 cup ketchup
2-3 tsp Worchestershire sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt

Let the whole mixture come to a boil, then lower heat to simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes.   You can taste it at this point and add an extra dash of Worchestershire sauce or salt & pepper, if needed.  

Serve the meat on top of homemade gluten-free rolls.  My versatile dinner rolls are a nice option.  We've also enjoyed it with my soft, buttery dinner rolls and my quick and delicious hamburger buns in a mixer recipes. 

Delicious with some favorite brownies for dessert! 

Sloppy Joe's Recipe by Successfully Gluten Free!


No comments:

Post a Comment